Sunday, June 2, 2013

Armchair BEA: Children's Fiction ,New Adult and Urban Fantasy

So I missed yesterday's topic so I'm going to post about yesterday's topic as well as today's topic. 

Children's and Teen Fiction

I have a lot to say on this topic as most of what I read is Young Adult and Children's fiction.

I don't think you need to be a teen or a child to enjoy teen fiction. I know quite a few bloggers  who are moms and are much older than me who love reading YA some of them read YA almost exclusively. I think that this genre deals with real emotions that everyone can relate to. 

I for one enjoy this genre because of it's diversity. I haven't seen such diversity in adult fiction yet but that may be because I've just started reading adult fiction in earnest.

I love the world's that the authors manage to create in this genre. I can't find anything in any other genre that can compare  to the world building in Harry Potter and The Hunger Games.

The Hunger Games introduced me to a new genre i.e dystopian and I like it a LOT!

Some novels I would recommend
  1. Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
  2. Under The Never Sky series by Veronica Rossi
  3. Elemental series by Brigid Kemmerer
  4. Half Blood series by Jennifer Armentrout
  5. Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent
  6. The Demon Trappers series by Jana Oliver
  7. Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter (I think this is classified as Middle grade but it's AMAZING!)
  8. The Host by Stephenie Meyer
  9. Poison Study by Maria V. Synder
  10. Percy Jackson series (Middle grade)


GENRE'S MISSED

There were quite a few genres addressed but it's almost impossible to address all so I've listed some genres that interest me below that haven't been talked about yet.

  • Urban Fantasy
I'm falling in LOVE with this genre! I think it was already addressed but I want to talk about it again.



I would recommend The Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews and The Shadow Reader by Sandy Lewis to everyone!

It takes a few books to get into the Kate Daniels series but it keeps getting better with every new book. Currently dying to read Book #6!

  • New Adult
This genre is coming up and becoming VERY popular.

One new adult book I would recommend is Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry .
(I didn't know it was classified as New Adult till now :P)


I'm currently waiting for Frigid by Jennifer Armentrout

  • Cultural/Historical fiction
Ok I'm not sure which genre this book comes under so I'm just going to say it's the retelling of an Indian epic from the point of view of the female.


It's called Palace of Illusions and it's a retelling of the Mahabharata.









3 comments:

  1. I'm not that familiar with urban fantasy so I'm glad you mentioned it today. Will have to read some of the genre.

    I agree that young adult and teen fiction has a lot to offer and the writing has really ramped up over the last ten years or so. Glad to "meet" you and find your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read a ton of Urban Fantasy but the books you mentioned above sound really good. I'm also not really a fan of New Adult I feel it is gimmicky and just an excuse to push sexual boundaries of characters. That's just my opinion though. I'm really a big fan of Dystopians and read quite a ton of them as well as Young Adult. Never heard of Uncommon Criminals will have to check that one out as well. Great post!

    My BEA post for today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHADOW READER! <3 Love that series.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and your blog link(if you have one).I LOVE comments!! I read all the comments on my blog and will try to pay a visit to your blog :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...