Monday, August 13, 2012

Review: Dreamless by Josephine Angelini


Dreamless (Starcrossed #2)
BLURB: Can true love be forgotten?

As the only Scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies’ cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen’s sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos.

Source: Publisher for Review (Thanks Pan Macmillan!)

Links: Review of Starcrossed (Book #1) ,Goodreads, Flipkart,Amazon,BD

My Thoughts:

If you've read my review of Starcrossed (link above) you will know that I wasn't a huge fan of the first book and frankly I would never have read this book if I wouldn't have gotten it for review.

I am so glad I got this for review.

 My major problem with book #1 was Helen.She was too annoying.In this book I actually felt sorry for her and could relate to her .She was  having trouble sleeping something I'm pretty sure a lot of teenagers can relate to!  Even though it was after she had finished throwing a pity party for herself, she was FINALLY assertive in this book.I liked Helen much more in this book.SO MUCH MORE!

Another thing I had a problem with in book #1 was the fact that the major focus was on the romance and the mythology wasn't as interesting as it could have been.Don't get me wrong ,I love romance in books but this legend is so interesting and there was so much scope for making this story epic that I was disappointed with the first novel.I am happy to say that this book focuses more on mythology and we even get to meet a few gods and goddesses.There were also so many twists and turns that I couldn't predict anything!


The romance is there but it doesn't command your attention.Helen commands your attention.Her determination to end the curse and her refusal to give up made me respect her.Helen shines through in this novel.Lucas changes in this novel and I liked that.A lot of people thought (what I've seen in other reviews) that the relationship between  Lucas and Helen was too depressing but I didn't think so.It was depressing in parts but I think this book gives their relationship more depth.I  felt that their love was a little too unrealistic in the first novel .I always wondered what would happen if they didn't end up together. I loved finding out the answer to this.

Orion is a new character introduced in this novel.I really liked him.He's so supportive of Helen he was such a nice guy.I want to see more of Orion in  book #3 .A LOT MORE!

Another thing I really liked about this book was the plot.There were so many surprises and the ending was a shocker! I couldn't have predicted the ending at all.At the end of this one you will be dying to know what happens next.This book changes the entire game people and I LOVED every moment of it! Helen and company have opened an entirely new  can of worms and there's no guessing how things will end.

The only reason this one isn't getting 5 stars is because of the slightly slow start.Also in the first half the main focus of the book seems to be Helen's suffering, which in parts became a little too much to handle.

Overall, this book was much better than the first ,in my opinion and I cannot wait for the sequel!

The wait for book #3 is so long (sometime in 2013)

My Rating:

4/5

Cannot wait for Book #3

7 comments:

  1. YAY! I'm so glad you loved this one! I adore this series, and I agree that Helen really stood out in this novel with her determination. Also, MORE ORION! I thought for sure I was going to roll my eyes at the love triangle, but it didn't feel like a love triangle, and I couldn't not love Orion. So good:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book! I started the first one but honestly I wasn't really feeling it but maybe I'll give it another shot. Thanks for the review!

    World of Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay that you liked this one! I enjoyed it as well but had a few minor issues. I'm glad that the issues you had in the first one mostly went away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you loved this one! I wasn't a huge fan of Starcrossed so it's cool to hear that you felt similarly but still loved Dreamless. I might consider reading this now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome review ill be adding this to my wish list ty for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review! I'm one of the goober who hasn't read this yet. I loved Starcrossed though! I was annoyed at first when I heard about Orion coming in to compete with Lucas for Helen's affection, but I'm glad to hear Orion is likeable. I guess I'll give him a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was an amazing second book of the Starcrossed series! Read it . . . after you've read Starcrossed, book one, of course!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and your blog link(if you have one).I LOVE comments!! I read all the comments on my blog and will try to pay a visit to your blog :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...