Thursday, September 22, 2011

Review:Dark Parties by Sara Grant


Dark Parties
BLURB:
Sixteen-year-old Neva has been trapped since birth. She was born and raised under the Protectosphere, in an isolated nation ruled by fear, lies, and xenophobia. A shield "protects" them from the outside world, but also locks the citizens inside. But there's nothing left on the outside, ever since the world collapsed from violent warfare. Or so the government says...

Neva and her best friend Sanna believe the government is lying and stage a "dark party" to recruit members for their underground rebellion. But as Neva begins to uncover the truth, she realizes she must question everything she's ever known, including the people she loves the most.(source: goodreads)



Source: Netgalley(Thanks to Hachette Book Group)
NOTE: NOT SUITABLE FOR YOUNGER READERS due to some scenes .

My thoughts: I was very reluctant to pick up this book because of the creepy cover.I had to practically force myself to pick this one up and I'm very glad that I picked it up! This was one good book!I cannot believe I didn't read this one sooner(I BLAME YOU creepy cover!) .This book was so interesting that I had a hard time putting it down and I am crossing my fingers for a sequel!

Let me give you a lowdown of the world the characters of this book  live in......

The government controls everything.
People who rebel against the government disappear and everything is recycled.
The population is shrinking .
Everyone looks similar and rebels feel compelled to mutilate themselves to look different i.e they feel compelled to forge a birthmark.
Everyone lives in a sealed glass dome called the Protectosphere.
Nobody knows whether there's any life outside the Protectosphere.

I loved the world that Sara Grant builds in this book.It's so realistic and you can relate to almost all the characters.You can draw parallel's between this book and real life effortlessly.This book reminds you of conservative societies and families.

 Neva,the main character is curious and rebellious.She wants to know why she's doing something in a society that doesn't question anything.Even though she's scared she doesn't back down .She doesn't hide in a corner or become a puppet to the organization when the going gets tough.I really admired her courage and determination.There are very few female protagonists in YA fiction that you can look up to and Neva is one of them.She has real problems  and she does make mistakes  but at least she doesn't make stupid mistakes which make you want to growl in anger.

I loved the sparks between Neva and Braydon. Braydon is well....you'll just have to read this one to find out!
*Rant*
I love Braydon!!!!!!!!!! 
OMG Braydon and Neva!!!!! 
Neva how could you??? 
Braydon X Neva <3
*Rant ends*

The best thing about this book is the fact that it is unpredictable till the very LAST page.Just when you think you've figured out what happens next,something totally and completely unexpected happens.Sara Grant's writing keeps you hooked and engrossed till the very last page and if you are looking for a new dystopian fiction  this is the book for you!


.5
My Rating:  
(4.5/5)
VERY GOOD!

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I would have picked it up Because of the creepy cover! :)

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds WOW!!!! I must read it!! Great review!

    Sweetswan @ lovelylit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The unpredictability you mentioned sounds good! Books that are predictable aren't interesting reads. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and your blog link(if you have one).I LOVE comments!! I read all the comments on my blog and will try to pay a visit to your blog :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...